Saturday, August 29, 2009

Pen and Coin Holder

Even with the new baby I have found time, in between feedings and with Alison's help, to get into my workshop and play. This project was to fill a need to wrangle up the coins and pens I had strewn all over my desk at work. I also wanted to use some of the short cuts of bubinga I had bought the last time I was at Exotic Lumber Inc.

I don't have a lathe so I improvised. I made the cup by creating a hexagon and cutting most of the waste away with the bandsaw (including the interior waste). Then I slowed the drill press down as slow as it would go and built a makeshift lathe with all thread, two plywood caps, and some nuts and washers and sanded the rest away.

I used "salad bowl" wipe-on finish because it was easy and I always like the way it looks.

2 comments: